четверг, 26 июня 2014 г.

10 Morning Yoga Poses {stress-free, energetic start to the day}

10 Morning Yoga Poses {stress-free, energetic start to the day}

10 morning yoga poses that will make you feel totally energized while decreasing cortisol levels for a stress-free start to the day. {it’s better than coffee for boosting your mood in the morning.}

10 morning yoga poses --- www.nourishmovelove.com
Want a fit, energetic body and relaxed, stress-free mind? Me too!


As you know last weekend I was at Lori Harder’s Bliss Project and I always leave these type of events with a list of things I’m going to do when I get home to be happier, less busy, and less stressed. Like read every morning, go for mid-day walks, power down my computer by 7pm. And then I get home, back to reality, and after about two days of starting this new routine, I fall right back into my old ways. Sound familiar?


At Bliss we started every morning with an amazing yoga flow sequence led by the beautiful Lindsay Sukornyk. Naturally everyone left feeling energized and ready to take on the day. So I was like what if I could do a little yoga session in my living room every morning to start my day?!


Lori Harder Bliss Project Yoga -- www.nourishmovelove.com

I tried following along to a couple yoga DVD’s, but this lasted a whole 2 days. Then I feel back into my old ways, jumping out if bed, grabbing my phone and scrolling through instgram in the bathroom. Which naturally leads to checking email, which leads to heart-pumping, overwhelming thoughts of my to-do list for the day and how can I possibly answer all these emails, and write a 2 blog posts, and write my class plan and teach class, and prep for that event I have coming up, and the list goes on…


Holy cortisol levels through the roof and it’s not even 6am. I’ve finally got to a point where I realize this has to stop. How much better would I feel if I rolled out of bed, flipped on my tea pot and while the water heats I do this morning yoga stretch and flow routine?!


10 yoga poses that will wake you up and give you more energy than any cup of coffee can ever provide.



{music: kari jobe we are, hands down one of my favorite songs}


Heck, you can even transition from sleeping straight into this routine. While in bed, lying on your back, hug your knees in tight towards your chest. Then gently, alternate knee hugs performing a bent leg pull and stretch {pictured below from my barre 100 ab series workout}.


Once you get some blood flowing, slowly get out of bed and bring your practice to the mat to complete the remainder of the routine.


10 morning yoga poses, bent leg pull and stretch --- www.nourishmovelove.com

the workout: 10 morning yoga poses for a stress-free, energetic start to the day


Complete entire sequence on right side of the body and then repeat on the left side. Holding each pose for a minimum of 3 breathes. All you need is a yoga mat or comfortable surface to move on so you can do this routine anywhere, anytime.


see video above for yoga routine and proper form.


down dog


10 morning yoga poses, down dog --- www.nourishmovelove.com

3 legged dog + hip opener


10 morning yoga poses, 3 legged dog --- www.nourishmovelove.com

Fun yoga fact: Holding your head below your heart and your leg lifted in the air in 3 legged dog encourages blood to circulate throughout the body, and moves fluid to the lymph nodes. This pose can be very relaxing, allowing for the release of stress, fear, and sadness.


low lunge


10 morning yoga poses, low lunge --- www.nourishmovelove.com

low crescent lunge


10 morning yoga poses, low crescent lunge --- www.nourishmovelove.com

low crescent lunge + side body stretch


10 morning yoga poses, low crescent lunge + side body stretch --- www.nourishmovelove.com

side twist


10 morning yoga poses, side twist --- www.nourishmovelove.com

Fun yoga fact: the side twist aids in digestion. You’ll feel the gentle pressure on your kidneys, liver, and spleen, which stimulates the removal of waste.


half splits


10 morning yoga poses, half splits --- www.nourishmovelove.com

low lunge + hip opener


10 morning yoga poses, low lunge + hip opener --- www.nourishmovelove.com

side twist + chest expansion


10 morning yoga poses, side twist + chest expansion --- www.nourishmovelove.com

Fun yoga fact: the side twist aids in digestion. You’ll feel the gentle pressure on your kidneys, liver, and spleen, which stimulates the removal of waste.


half pigeon


10 morning yoga poses, half pigeon --- www.nourishmovelove.com

I encourage you to finish this routine by practicing headstands, handstands, or any type of inversion. Start by trying inversions against a wall or with lots of pillows beneath you.


If you can try holding your inversion for 10 breaths or longer. Deep breathing while inverted helps clear carbon dioxide from the lungs. Additionally, it’s another pose where your heart is above your head, so it helps removes toxins in the circulatory and lymphatic systems.


10 morning yoga poses, headstands and inversions --- www.nourishmovelove.com

10 morning yoga poses


Complete entire sequence on right side of the body and then repeat on the left side. Holding each pose for a minimum of 3 breathes.


  • down dog
  • 3 legged dog + hip opener
  • low lunge
  • low crescent lunge
  • low lunge + side body stretch
  • side twist
  • half splits
  • low lunge + hip opener
  • side twist + chest expansion
  • half pigeon

pin this workout


10 morning yoga poses pin --- www.nourishmovelove.com

Original article and pictures take www.nourishmovelove.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий